Friday, May 04, 2007

death claim

As I cheerfully answered a call from my client, my smile disappeared and my face froze when he informed me that his wife, who is also my client, has gone to be with the Lord on the 16th of April 2007. My brain went blank momentarily. I was totally shocked and saddened by the news.

I submitted the first death claim this afternoon. It never dawned on me that it was such a painful thing facing death in the course of my work. I know it is morbid to be talking about death in the wee hours of the morning, but I'm indeed very saddened by it. No doubt that I do talk about it in the daily course of my work, dealing with it face to face is another issue altogether.

She was such a beautiful young lady. She left behind a loving husband, a 2-year old son and old parents. She was merely a couple of years my senior and at the peak of her career. She was a director of her own company. But her death did not come suddenly.

The last time I saw her was last year February when she contracted leukemia, 6 months after giving birth to a beautiful boy. While on her maternity leave, she suddenly discovered bruises all over her body although she did not injure any part of her body. The doctor confirmed that she had acute leukemia. The cancer cells had been residing in her body for many years but the hormonal changes in her body after pregnancy triggered the spread of the cancerous white blood cells.

Due to the chemotherapy, most of her long mane was gone. I stood at the gate, praying for her from outside, while the husband passed the claim forms to her to sign. Her immune system was at the rock bottom at that time and I stayed away for fear that I would spread any germs to her. I could only stare her silhouette, while uttering a prayer.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I fought back my tears. I failed. Warm tears streamed down mercilessly and uncontrollably.

The ability to breathe is such a blessing. We ought to be thankful for the simplest thing - being alive and kicking.

2 comments:

Whiskoffee said...

Yes. We should be glad that we are alive and kicking.

JerL said...

Amen.