Tuesday, May 08, 2007

movie review

1. Love issues:

Watching the Spiderman 3 left me teary eyed throughout the movie. I must admit that I'm an emotional freak. Every character did what they did out of love, even the so-called bad guys. The Sandman out of love for his dying daughter, Harry out of love for his late father. The sad part is that they let their selfish love turn to hatred. And in turn, they are hurting other people. Being myopic, they failed to see the big picture.

The consolation is that realization of their folly dawned at the very last scene.

Love should be selfless. But being human, many a times, the possessiveness come into play and love turned ugly. Love transformed into jealousy, hatred, murderous thoughts. How many people can be that cool-headed when dealing with love? Taking a step back to see the big picture. Love is supposed to be kind. Love is supposed to be forgiving. Love is supposed to be selfless.

2. Superhero is human and human makes mistakes

Spiderman turning evil and then repenting and turned good again. This twist to the plot is something rather controversial I would say. To me, superheros in my era was perfect. They were heros. They save the world. They are pure and innocent. They have a good heart. They are everything good.

Why did Spidey turn evil? Out of external uncontrollable circumstance?

Walking out of the cinema, at every other corner of the shopping mall, I noticed something disgusting. Black spiderman toys with evil eyes are lurking everywhere. Kids adore them. I do not know what kind of influence this has on our next generation, but I know it is not a good one.

I do not think that kids can pick up the gist of the show: Repentance. They dwell on the part when Spidey turned evil. They love it. Just look around us. What accessories are youths daunting today? Pendants that are of the shape of skulls, devilish and evil looking doodling on T-shirts with blood, tatoo of the devilish creatures on their bodies.

Ok, I think I digressed a little.

4 comments:

coboypb said...

Sis and i watched Spiderman 3 on Sun and we were teary eyed too. I like the part of learning to forgive and letting go.

Whiskoffee said...

hi jerl, point taken

mrdes said...

You deal with the hardest part first, which is to forgive yourselves:)...The kids watching were just waiting for the fighting action - enough said.

JerL said...

coboypb: Indeed. How true. Forgive and let go of the emotional baggage.

whiskoffee: Thanks for dropping by everyday :) You're encouraging.

mrdes: A little boy beside me exclaimed: "Oh! Spidey turned bad!" And then later in the show "Yeah! Spidey turned good again!" Kids :)