Thursday, June 21, 2007

inspirations from toastmasters

When Juey approached me to be the next president of Buona Vista Toastmasters Club, I was apprehensive at first to take up the role, as I had only been a toastmaster for a year. I eventually agreed to take up the role after being inspired. And I want to share my inspiration to those who wish to be inspired.

***

Inspiration 1:
I was inspired by the President of Toastmasters International. He wrote about the struggle between deciding to step up as president or concentrate on participating and winning in the speech contests. He actually spoke to many of those more senior in the toastmasters journey and get many opinions before making the decision.

He was enlightened when someone asked him what was his original intention of joining the toastmasters club. His answer was simple: "To improve his communication skills." So that person said, "You have answered your own question. Go ahead and take up the challenge to be the President." He was bewildered for a while. But that person continued, "As a president, you get the most number of chances to speak. At every club meeting, the president has to speak at least twice doing the opening and closing address. Sometimes also presenting awards to the members."

He took up the position and has never regretted his decision.

Inspiration 2:
I asked Barry Tan, the current president of Punggol Toastmasters Club, for his opinion on whether I should take up the position. In my heart, I was a little apprehensive about leading the club which consists of many members who are more senior than me, whether in terms of age or their toastmasters journey.

Barry's reply was simple. He asked me to name him the hierarchy of Toastmasters and who is at the top of the hierarchy. Naturally, I thought he was going to mention President of Toastmasters International, or at the very least, in the division level, it would have to be the Division Governor. His answer surprised me. "Members are on the top of the hierarchy. As President and exco member, even the Division and Area Governors, they are chosen to serve the members while in office. The members have the right to vote for people they believe to be able to serve them well. So if your members think that you are able to serve them as president, just take up the challenge." These are not really the exact replica of what he had said, but the gist of what he was trying to tell me can be summarized in 2 words: "Servant Leadership". The same way Lord Jesus is. And I knew in my heart that God had spoken to me in a very special way and He reminded me of his great love for me. And in the same way, he was trying to put me in a position to learn in practical ways the true meaning of "Servant Leadership".

***

When Kristina Sharmini, the incoming Division U Governor, approached me to take up the challenge to be Assistant Governor in Education & Training, since it was my biggest dream to be a trainer, I accepted the challenge immediately. And I know this will definitely be a decision I will never regret.

Opportunity may not come knocking on your door twice.

4 comments:

The Oriental Express said...

I am sure you will carry out your duties well.

God bless and strengthen you physically, spiritually, emotionally and monetarily too!

Cheers!

mrdes said...

Congrats! Indeed, it is servant leadership the position bestows:P

JerL said...

the oriental express: Thank you for your well wishes!

mrdes: Ditto to that! And when are you inviting me to your club?

Whiskoffee said...

Jia you, Jerl!
Go go go!