Friday, July 31, 2009

"Daddy, how come you always say 'No' to me?"

Kids are just so innocent and many a times, they ask the most direct questions. And adults have to answer carefully because their little brains are absorbing information at a rate that is almost equivalent, if not faster, than a dry, cracking sponge absorbing water.

My friend’s daughter asked one difficult question to her father. “Daddy, how come you always say ‘No’ to me?”

How will you answer this question if you were the father? For me, I will probably be dumbfounded for a while, thinking of the appropriate words I should use. On one hand, I do not want to hurt the feelings of the little one. On the other hand, I want to impart the correct values! I felt like I was doing a balancing act on a see-saw alone!

The father, in stark contrast, was as cool as a cucumber! He replied in a matter-of-fact tone, “That’s because you ask the wrong question, dear. If you had asked me, ‘Daddy, can I do more homework?’ That answer would have been ‘Yes.’ Or if you had asked me, ‘Daddy, can I do my homework first before watching TV?’ My answer would have been ‘Yes’ too!”

I take my hat off him. He’s simply amazing.

1 comment:

sweeteepye said...

perhaps we can also put it in context of our Heavenly Father too. i.e. why some answers are no. Probably because we ask for the wrong things sometimes.