Saturday, November 18, 2006

little town called Kulai


Like a little child exploring a new place, I look forward to my first train ride to a little town in Malaysia called Kulai. It feels like going back through the ages as I admired the historical train station with those beautiful wall painting. Such simplicity as the train passes by kampongs where people live in tattered houses by the jungle I could never imagine living in. Scenary that I never saw as all my previous trips to Malaysia were in a set of wheels where I had the luxury to sleep throughout the long drive.

Was warmly welcomed by my friend's sister who came to pick us up. Along the way, we talked and I was shocked to find out that there are NO cabs in this little town and there is only ONE bus that comes at ONE-hour intervals. Everyone living in this little town drove around in a set of wheels, which is a necessity. There is only ONE hypermart in this town and half the shops have closed down, though this town feels a lot larger than Singapore. I think I will die of inefficiency if I stayed here.

Singaporeans complain when our bus service that arrive only 5 mins late. Singaporeans ought to be less of a pain in the ass and count thy blessings. We should get out to see the world ever so often to be thankful that we are among the most blessed in the whole world.


***

A heartwarming episode of the day is always worth blogging.

Was playing with my friend's baby niece and she is really a cutie. When I first came, she refused to let me carry her as I was a stranger to her. However, after spending an afternoon playing with her and feeding her biscuits, she warmed up to me.

When it was time for us to leave, I waved at her with a bright big smile only to find her smile disappearing slowly and her face twisted to a frown and then, to my horror, sparkly tears welled up in her eyes and she started bawling.

My heart dropped and rolled off a few metres that I nearly died from a heart attack. It was such a heart wrenching sight! I walked back towards the car as her mother wound down the car windows. I took her little hand as she held tightly, refusing to let go. I sayang her and promise that I will come back again. Only then she let go of my hand unwillingly.

I waved hard as the car drove off. Little did I expect her to become so attached to me only in such a short span of time. As always, I'm just too sweet to resist. Lol.

No comments: