Sunday, December 10, 2006

life is full of surprises!

Winning the Best Speaker Award on Division U's Achievers' Day really came as a pleasant surprise as I delivered my 8th speech from the basic communications manual.

I was evaluated by a panel of 5 evaluators. It was not easy when 5 pairs of eyes were really focusing on me during my speech delivery.

Surprises does not come alone.

What surprised me most was when Mark Lee (evaluator for body language) asked me to stand up during his evaluation to commend me on my power dressing.

I was wearing a black suit with grey skirt and a simple strand of pearls, not forgetting my toastmasters pin on my collar. What was more surprising was when Mark mentioned that he was impressed by my matching 4-inches black heels and contrasting silver nail polish on my toes! And how he noticed I used the heels to increase my height to aid in my speech delivery! I never thought that a guy could be SO observant to take note of such details. I'm highly impressed but I blushed too hard to smile graciously back.

I always thought I was the only freaky geek who bothers to put in effort and thoughts on such details, like what clothes and shoes to wear to aid in my speech delivery. Most of the time, I wore power suit during Toastmasters Club meetings as this is a formal event. The only time I did not wear a suit was 2 days ago as my speech topic was on a lighter topic on hamsters. Nevertheless, I still wore a pretty blouse with pants with perfect makeup and hair which won a compliment from Jensen.

***

On a side note, congratulations to Ms Kam for getting the Best Speaker Award from the Advanced Communication Manual and achieving the ACB title.

Also congratulations to Ee Chuan on getting the Best Speaker during Division Z Achievers' Day and achieving the ACB title.

Wow. Bloggers are also yakkers. They can't stop writing and can't stop talking. :)

7 comments:

The Oriental Express said...

Yes, Jerlynn, you are always imactulately groomed!!!

I have lots to learn from you.

Your speech also touched the core of many people's hearts.... not to eat sharks fin and birds nest as well as goose liver!!!

Keep it up!

The Oriental Express said...

Alamak, wrong spelling, I mean immaculately groomed! or being dressed up with vevre!! All these words I learn from toastmasters' activities!

Toastmaster's, anyone?

JerL said...

Ms Kam:

Indeed, toastmasters is for everyone! Haha...

I've got lots to learn from you as well! You're a linguist! Multi-lingual talent! Your speech wowed the audience with all the foreign languages you speak!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jerlynn

Congrats on getting best speaker! What a coincidence, all three of us blogger/toastmasters ending up with same award on the same day! :-)

It's great to be able to encourage one another in our toastmasters journey as it has taken me 2 years to complete 5 projects from my second advanced project manual to be able to achieve my ACB! In addition, my last 4 speeches were done all in the space of the last 2 months! I had procrastinated from Jan 2005 up to Oct 2006 (where I did 3 projects) and wrapped up on 9 Dec with with AP5 to finally reach my goal of ACB.

ACS is next! June 2007 - do keep reminding me so that I will push towards this goal!

God bless!

JerL said...

Ee Chuan: Congratulations too!!! Blogging does help us to draft better speeches? LOL. I believe so. People who love to blog have very strong opinions.

Let's encourage one another to do it! Mine will be to achieve ACB by June next year! I'm doing my P9 next Tuesday! hee...

PanzerGrenadier said...

That's great! Progress onto your ACB!

My target is ACS by June 2006!

Haha.... :-)

EC

DK said...

Merry Christmas!!!