Monday, February 26, 2007

sleepy but cannot sleep

I am the Organizing Chair for my club's International Speech and Table Topics Contest this year. The contest date is 2 days away and there are so many nitty gritty details to be taken care of. I thought I started organizing the event pretty early, but then again I was inexperienced. Most club contests are held during this period of time as the Area Contest dates were already fixed on 24th March. As such, I had immense difficulty getting the panel of judges as many experienced judges are fully booked during this period of time.

In order to let our club members to be able to take part as contestants, I had to look for external sources for appointment holders such as the Timers, Tally Counters and Sergeant-At-Arms. This poses some challenge in coordinating.

As expected, 2 appointment holders smsed me today to say that they were unable to make it. Contestants also smsed me to say that they have not enough time to prepare for the contest and they might pull out of the contest. It is not an easy job to be the Organizing Chair. I'm an organized person but the challenge comes when you need to work with disorganized people, irresponsible people and no-response people.

The worst is the last group of people called no-response people. I hate it when people ignore my calls, emails and smses. I'd appreciate a negative response much more than a non-response. Really. Whether the answer is an apologetic "Sorry I'm unable to attend" or a straight forward "No, I do not wish to take up the position because I do not like your face.", it is still a response. I very much appreciate an answer instead of leaving me hanging in mid air. With a rejection, I can look for alternative sources of help. Instead, some people simply love to leave me endlessly waiting for their non-response. So evil. I'd pardon those people who are old and forgetful. Maybe it is a genuine memory loss case. But with multiple missed calls, smses and emails. Hmm... I think I doubt memory loss is a good excuse anymore. Oh well, maybe some people just have the memory of a goldfish, then so be it. I have nothing to say. I think my hamster can do better.

***

Now I have so many things to do. But my mind is weary, body is exhausted, brain is fried. I just crave for my bed right now.

So, if you'd excuse me for a while, I think I will catch some winks before I sort out this mess.

5 comments:

The Oriental Express said...

Try for help from Walter as he is usually quite obligiging. Phone Vanessa for his number.

Don't email him as he seldom looks at his computer.

All the bestto your contest.
Cheer up! Eventually things will turn out fine.

Choo

The Oriental Express said...

Also try help from Stanley, an ex co member in NUSS TMC. A nice and obliging guy and ,,,, a bachelor!!

Try also Ranald of UBS.... another very eligible bachelor!!

Also Jeffery of SPANS-JOM TMC.

This way we kill two birds with one stone.... hee hee!

The anonymous blogger said...

Yo Jerlynn!

Haha I agree with you man. But hey, since you mentioned about the last / worst group of people, shouldn't we email Cheryl regarding the membership? I am worried that she might be waiting for either one of us to start the club! =(

Whiskoffee said...

I need to repent... Cos I am a no-response person. -.-"

Actually, I am forgetful lah... =p

JerL said...

the oriental express: Hi Ms Kam! Jeffrey was unable to make it. Thanks for your contacts! I'll remember to ask them in the future. And a big thanks for coming down to help me amidst your busy schedule.

Barry: Hey, thanks for reminding me about that. I better reply to Cheryl now. And yes, I better practice what I preach.

whiskoffee:Go repent! No lame excuses!!! Lolx.