Tuesday, March 06, 2007

earthquake

The floor shook. Momentarily, giddiness struck.

"Ladies and gentlemen, please kindly evacuate from the building now. Please gather downstairs and wait for further instructions. Thank you. Please evacuate now." came the announcement from the PA system.

As I calmly stood up from my seat to get out of the building, I had a glimpse out of the full panel of glass behind my seat with a full view of Church Street. All the blue collared workers evacuated from all the buildings along the whole of Church Street like water bursting from a broken pipe, streaming onto the roadside. People were caught by surprise and were murmuring in groups to discuss what had just happened.

For a moment, I thought there was a terrorist attack. It was only later in the evening when the news broadcast announced that an earthquake struck Indonesia in the noon time. For the first time in my life, I felt the tremors of an earthquake.

2 comments:

Whiskoffee said...

I was busy with work and I din feel anything although my office is located near the City Hall MRT station.

Hmmmm...

JerL said...

whiskoffee: It is really slight and only lasted probably 10 seconds. Some of my colleagues didn't feel it either.