Tuesday, March 20, 2007

to give or to receive?

My mom shared yet another story with me after I shared with her the story of The Man, The Lion and The Wolf. This is my mom's version.

Two men were asked the same question by a Genie in a bottle, before they were granted their wishes. Don't ask me why the Genie is in the bottle and don't ask me why Genies grant wishes. They're supposed to. Anyway, I digressed. The question posed by the genie was "Would you rather give freely or receive freely?"

The first man gave the question some thought and answered "Give freely".

The second man laughed at the first man and mocked at him. "You fool! Only fools give freely. I want to receive freely. Then I do not have to work so hard!"

The Genie, being a very nice Genie, granted both men their wishes.

The first man became a wealthy and successful businessman. The second guy became a beggar.

The moral of the story: In order for one to give freely, you need to be blessed with more resources than what you need. So the first man was no fool. Indeed, it is a blessing to give than to receive.

2 comments:

Whiskoffee said...

I agree! Many of the world's richest people make it a point to give.

Soros, Gates, Rockefeller, and that world famous investor (whose name continually eluded/slipped my mind right now) all subscribed to that...

Problem is, many people still believe that to hoard is the way to succeed.

Giving shd be the way.

The Oriental Express said...

So heartwarming to see you and your mom so close, Jerlyn.

The irony of being a kiasu is that a kiasu will really "su" in the end. And a "kiasi" will somehow "si" in the end.

Like the Sea of Galilee, we should receive freely even as we give out the blessings we receive in order that the waters in our sea remain fresh! For those who don't like to give but only receive and receive, they will become like the Dead Sea!