Wednesday, June 06, 2007

why get so uptight?

A friend called me to ask me whether he can tell me about how he was really pissed off by this other person who asked him for a favour when this person always refuses to help him when he needed one. He was so perplexed and unhappy about it until I could hear his voice over the phone quivering with anger and hurt. He was so angry that he had to call me twice to complain about the same thing.

To me, it was only a small matter. And I counciled him over the phone. What's the point of getting angry at such a small matter? Ask yourself: Is it a matter of life and death? If not, is it worthwhile getting so worked up with such strong feeling of hurt or feeling of injustice? We just probably need to accept the existence of selfish and self-centred people.

Life is short. Why do we allow ourselves to be so unhappy or upset over such a small thing?

This is the story I shared. I got to know this new friend through my colleague just last Wednesday night and we went for a midnight show together after some drinks. And guess what, the next day, he complained of chest pain and was immediately admitted to A&E (Accident & Emergency) of Singapore General Hospital. Apparently, there was a hole in his lung and there was leakage of air, which resulted in his lung collapsing on the left side. He is still hospitalized to date and his condition worsened yesterday. Now he is on oxygen mask. And mind you, I'm not talking about an aged here. My friend is only 25 years old who has just started in his career.

Life is too short and unpredictable. Why get so uptight easily? We are merely made up of skin, flesh and bones. This minute we are alive and kicking, but the next minute? One will never know the future. A little hole in the lung can bring the healthy person bedridden, life dependent on that little oxygen mask. Do you even think he has the energy to even be bearing grudges against anyone?

Well, I'm glad he loosened up after speaking with me and his respond was that he should read my blog more frequently for my philosophies. Haha... Anyway, I was just sharing my two cents worth. Sometimes, we are so caught up in our own world that we forgotten to look at the big picture.

We ourselves are imperfect, so how can we expect other people to be perfect? While we see the splinter in someone else's eye, we have failed to see the plank in our own eye.

3 comments:

mrdes said...

Agreed totally. Especially that part about the big picture...If you live in your own, "small" world, you tend to magnify everything to ridiculous proportions. And recently, I suddenly realised: that, to certain extent, blogging does fuel this tendency in me...then again, I am not getting uptight:), so don't worry (about yourself that is:P). So welcome back!

Whiskoffee said...

i seconded mrdes's view. missed ur online presence, missy! =)

JerL said...

mrdes: Yups, sometimes we're just too myopic. Great to hear that blogging has therapeutic effects! *bows* It feels good to be missed. Haha...

whiskoffee: Thank you for missing me too!