Thursday, July 10, 2008

about gadgets dying

I was just reading Slushy's blog post about her bad experience with IT gadgets and how her 4-month-old laptop died on her and that being the 4th hard disk that had died on her. That brought me to start thinking about the short life span of the gadgets that is so prominant nowadays. For myself, my new Sony Ericsson phone died on me only barely 2 months after I bought it. It started me thinking whether the IT gadgets built nowadays are built in such a way that they will not last for a long time.

Seemingly, technology advancement should be more advanced than 10 years ago, but seriously, 20 years ago, the electrical appliances and gadgets lasted a much longer time. I remembered that the first refrigerator and TV set that we ever owned lasted for at least 10 years or more. And all the newer ones, especially those that were bought in recent years only lasted about 1 year. It has been like that for the past 5 years, I remember my refridgerator and TV set always break down during Chinese new year. And that seemed to be happening every year so far. Just ridiculous. It made me wonder whether they have been designed in such a way that it will not last for more than 2 years, so that consumers will need to replace with a new set every now and then to boost the sales. It may well be a gimmick that companies use for "survival"?

Something worth pondering about.
Any opinions? Please post your comments!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

posted a video on green issues called the story of stuff that talks about this.

Also, people have sort of expected and accepted it I think. Cos think of ipods, we all know that they only last 2-3 years but that hasn't stopped people from snapping them up. I'm so not looking forward to the day mine dies...will I get another? maybe.

The Oriental Express said...

I had been encouraging my sister to learn how to do email. Recently I bought her a brand new laptop which was on offer by the Citibank in Malaysia for cardholders. Her son took the offer.

The computer has contracted cancer after 2 months. Poor sis. She was so excited about the computer, and enjoyed emailing and surfing the net.

HP was reluctant to repair, and even after repairing, left the poor cancerous computer more sick than ever. Looks like her days are numbered....the cancer is indeed terminal!!!

Sigh! You are right. Nowadays people do not have much pride in their work. Wait till you read about my new pair of shoes that fell apart in my forthcoming blog article!

Cheers! C'est la vie!