Monday, August 04, 2008

the last lecture


Randy Pausch was an American professor @ Carnegie Mellon University, CMU. In August 2006, Pausch was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He proceed with an aggressive cancer treatment. However, in August 2007, the cancer had metastasized to his liver and spleen. That meant the cancer was terminal. At that time, doctors estimated he would remain healthy for another 3 to 6 months. On May 2, 2008, a scan showed that his cancer had spread to his lungs and some lymph nodes in his chest. Now there was a total of 11 tumors and time was slipping away fast.

The Last Lecture
This was a ongoing series of lectures where top academics are asked to think deeply about what matters to them, and then give a hypothetical" final talk," A lot of professors give talks titled "The Last Lecture." where they considered their demise and told expound on what matters most to them. Randy was asked to give such a lecture but the irconic this for him is that he didn't have to imagine that it was his last. It just was.

However his lecture was not about dying. It was about the importance of overcoming obstacles, of enabling the dreams of others, of seizing every moment. It was a summation of everything Randy had come to believe. It was about living. Pausch delivered his "Last Lecture," titled "Really Achieving YourChildhood Dreams," at CMU on September 18, 2007.

These are the links

A few days ago on 25July 2008, Randy left us.
If today is the day you leave, are you ready for it?

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

Oh yes Jerl. I had watched his video before and was touched by it.

Since 20 years ago, I had always been prepared to meet my creator! Both my parents passed away at age 63, and I had never met my grandparents as they passed away before I was born!

Hence, I would be also contented to be able to live around 65 years of my life.

Hence, am always ready and prepared. Best of all, always tell my friends to come to my funeral dressed in pink, purple and pastel colours for death is a celebration for all of us who know the Lord!