Monday, September 01, 2008

trainer's day celebration

Since nobody ever thought of starting a Trainer's Day, we borrowed the Teacher's Day Celebration on 1 September to give ourselves a reason to celebrate. Actually it was my boss's idea to give us a lunch treat at Trader's Hotel as a reward for a job well done!

After having our fill, we took flight at the Singapore Flyer. It was my first ride ever to get a bird's eye view of my beloved country, the little red dot we are so darn proud of to win an olympic medal in 48 years. Indeed, we've come far. And looking at the little red dot from the height 2 metres lower than the peak of bukit timah hill indeed sends thrills down my spine. It was a wonderful experience and we were delighted to have a tour guide explaining the various places of Singapore to us Singaporeans. For once, I felt like a tourist in my hometown. And it kind of feel wierd. There are so many things about Singapore that I had not known of!

The tour guide was sharing with us that the direction which the Singapore Flyer turns, has something to do with feng shui because, it is turning towards the heart of the financial hub of Singapore, which is the Central Business District area or Shenton Way. Many skyscrapers were all designed with feng shui in mind. Take for instance, Conrad Hotel takes shape of the number 13, which means to carry on "living" forever and thus signifies prosperous business. The famous one is of course Suntec City, which comprises of 5 towers that represents the 5 fingers on the palm and the ring inside the palm, which has an upside-down fountain, that the water, which signifies wealth, is always flowing inwards, thus into Suntec city.

The half-hour ride ended rather quickly and it will be probably be my once in a lifetime ride.

2 comments:

The Oriental Express said...

Wiw! What a nice appreciation from your boss. In life, it is so lovely when people are demonstrative in their thanks!

Sure, I miss teachers' day celebrations in ACS and River Valley High. I guess in life, there is always a season for everything. As a real estate agent, I smell more money! But I make sure that I celebrate life everyday. Jesus is the reason why we celebrate!

All the best in your training job1 May you shine and bloom brilliantly like the sunflowers!

mrdes said...

Happy Trainer's Day!

What you said about not knowing so many things about Singapore, I felt that way too a few years back when I joined this thing called a Heritage Tour, and tour Chinatown area...such great memories!