Monday, September 21, 2009

left or right brained?

"Of 30 questions, 17 of your responses indicate you are left brained dominant. 13 of your responses are indications of right brain dominance. These results indicate you have a balanced brain, with no tendency to think towards either side. Those who are middle-brain dominant tend to be more flexible than either the left or the right-brain folks; however, you often vacillate between the two hemispheres when you make decisions. You sometimes get confused when decisions need to be made because, neurologically speaking, you could do most tasks through either a left-brain or a right-brain method! A balanced score means you are able to draw on the strengths of both the right and left hemispheres of your brain depending upon a given situation. This combination makes you a creative and flexible thinker.The down side to having a more "balanced brain" is that you may sometimes feel paralyzed by indecision when the two hemispheres of your brain are competing to solve a problem in their own unique ways. You may also find career choices difficult due to your proficiency in several different areas. "

My test results is rather true. :) I remember when I took an ability test when I was applying for scholarship to determine my area of interests in terms of career, my results went haywire as it showed 2 extremes. One career preference is the arts category - musician or fine arts. And the other end was the science category - research.

Well, in fact, I'm pretty happy now that I found my dream job as a sales trainer. As a sales trainer, I got to be very left-brained when it comes to details. I have to be accurate with the details in my delivery, especially when it comes to products, or certain areas of compliance. On the other hand, I can express my artistic side when designing the slides or course development and of course during delivery. I need to train subjects that are super left-brained like Financial Literacy modules on time value of money and very soft skill subjects like Buyers' Psychology. I think that perhaps having a balanced brain allows me to do that switch fairly comfortably. Even though I'm more left-brained, I tend to prefer training right-brained subjects.

And I have also found the place to release my thirst to be a musician. I'm playing the keyboard for my cell group and I think that it is really a perfect arrangement.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eldest sis Lee Lee recently commented that after she let her daughter learn the piano, she also actually improved in her studies and won 1st class honours in the U and with it a scholarship.

As the pianist uses two hands, she actually exercises both sides of the brain.

Take note parents. Let your children learn the piano or any other instrument.

The Oriental Express said...

Eldest sis Lee Lee recently commented that after she let her daughter learn the piano, she also actually improved in her studies and won 1st class honours in the U and with it a scholarship.

As the pianist uses two hands, she actually exercises both sides of the brain.

Take note parents. Let your children learn the piano or any other instrument.

JerL said...

That's an interesting finding... and glad both of us can play the piano and have parents with great foresight!