Thursday, October 12, 2006

black humour

Received a request to translate my previous post into English. My maiden trial in translating a poem. Pardon me if I did not do a good job.

The problem with poem translation is that if it were translated literally, it will lose the beauty of a poem. Some Chinese proverbs or idioms do not have an English direct version. So you might need a whole lot of words to explain what you really meant.

Well, anyway, I'll just give it a shot to translate it as best as I can. This sad love poem is entitled Black Humour. I dedicate to those of my blog fans who cannot read Chinese. Enjoy.

***
I will not dwell in the past, for that is the behaviour of a coward
I will not look back, for that is the mind of an escapist
If that momentary telepathy
Was the evidence of our love
I have no resentments and no regrets
***
It is an irony
That those words that once touched my heart
Is now piercing through my broken heart
The promises you had once made
Became the shadows of bubbles that burst in an instant
That shimmering brilliance and radiance
So shortlived
***
I am unwilling
To be a loser to your black humour
I will not let my tears flood anymore
I would rather
Pack my emotions in my luggage
To start my journey afresh
And seek the rainbow that truly belonged to me

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

I agree with you. Like the words "bu hao yi zi" cannot be adequately translated ino English. It loses the essence of its beauty.

Sigh.... could only read the works of Li Bai, Tu Fu, Lu Hsun in English translation. But at least something is better than nothing.