Thursday, March 08, 2007

living dead

Why do some people choose to live in other people's shadows? Why are some people always afraid to be in the limelight? They rather hide behind the shadows. They rather blend into the crowds. They rather lead normal and boring lives. They have no dreams. They were not taught to have dreams. They never knew they could dream. Quietly, they came. And quietly, they go. Their lives are merely passing clouds.

I never can understand these people. Really.

I remember asking this new friend what she wanted in life. She had no answer to that question. I brought her to Adam Khoo's motivational seminar, in the hope that some life can be revived, some spark can be added to her life. I walked out of the seminar feeling high, positive, recharged with a lot of afterthoughts, with renewed passion for my career. But my new friend, she was indifferent after sitting through the 3-hour seminar. I asked her what she thought of the seminar. She said nothing. I asked her which part of the speech motivated her most. She was not even interested in my question. I was appalled.

How can someone be so indifferent, so unfeeling, so unemotional, so can't be bothered. How can someone have no goals in life? I don't mean to be rude, but that is as good as living dead. Live to die.

6 comments:

DK said...

Well, everyone have their own way of living. We just have to learn to accept it.

Whiskoffee said...

Not everyone wants a mediocre life. You just haven't met the best of them.

When I was an idealistic youth years ago, one of my life goals is to try to rid the world of stupidity and tunnel-thinking.

It was to my chagrin that there are actually people who wanted to be stupid and narrow-minded. some are even proud of it.

Scared the shit outta me at first. But I have learnt to take things in my stride.

Oh well...

JerL said...

DK: How right you are... The more people I talk to, the more people I find that are 'living dead'. Hmm... Maybe I'm the wierd one? Everyone just want to lead a normal simple life.

whiskoffee: You mean people are actually proud to be stupid and narrow-minded? Are they out of their mind? Totally absurd. -_-

Whiskoffee said...

I met a few of them online once. They are a waste of my time man.

I never knew stupidity is a cherished asset before then.

PanzerGrenadier said...

Hi Jerl,

There are all sorts of people on this earth.

Even I myself have encountered periods when I felt there was no meaning in life. I was jolted out of that when one day a colleague passing by me in the office remarked,

"Why do you look so 'sian' "...

That was a wake-up call as my inner depression was actually evident in my outward appearance and facial expression.

Since then, I realise that I was susceptible to depression at times too and had to rely on God as well as positive people to help ground myself in reality.

That is why I read the obituaries. To see that there are people who do not have what I have, i.e. LIFE and to see things is a better perspective.

I learnt from toastmasters that you can lead the horse to water but you can't force it to drink. Hence, sometimes we need to live and let live.

God bless.

JerL said...

whiskoffee: whooops. They're a sad bunch.

panzergrenadier: Hi Ee Chuan! Perhaps you are right... Words of wisdom. "Live and let live..." Hmm... Something to ponder about.